In case you haven't noticed, the world of marketing is changing and if you don't change with it, you risk finding yourself in a real bind the next time you need to find a job. And given the state of the economy and the high-level of economic uncertainty we face, I think it's a great time to rethink marketers plan on "winning the future".
I say that marketers need to understand is the world of communications/public relation better and here's why
- As budgets shrink, companies will not be able to afford seperate marketing AND communications departments so as they look to do more with less, resources in both departments may be called upon do to both sets of tasks.
- In case you hadn't noticed, marketing people and communications people are switching sides. If you think the competition for your role or any job your are applying for is only going to come from people in your specific field, you're kidding yourself. Read any marketing job description these days and note the requirement "Degree in Marketing, Communications or any related field..."
- The importance of social media is bringing together marketing and communications roles as companies struggle to figure out who owns what and how it is best managed. If you understand what everybody touching social media does, you are well positioned to help your company tell its story.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) might be a primarily marketing function but media coverage is a great way to get high-quality back links to your site. Also, if you are employing an effective listening strategy (something communications and PR people are good at), it's easy to find stories about topics that relate to your company/product/customers and join the conversation and get high-quality back links.
- Having great writing skills is important and you learn many things about writing great content from communications, public relations and marketing writers.
- I believe our future is going to be determined by how successful our entrepreneurs will be at growing companies that hire people. To me this means that we all need to get better at wearing more hats and doing more than just one thing. In short, I think the day of the one-trick pony is over.
My next post is going to cover a few tips and resource that I think are great for marketers looking to understand communications/PR better.
image credit: bgottsab